Sunday, January 23, 2005

Sad, sad, sad.....

iPod update:
1,522 songs, 4.7 days, 6.19 GB (out of 40)

Last album added:
Bruce Springsteen, Born To Run


I don't care one iota about the National Hockey League right now. It's an absolute disgrace how they have taken our game and made it their game. I get more joy and satisfaction from watching and being a part of youth leagues and pick-up games to even care about what some millionaire thinks should be important to me.

I am the target audience for the NHL and the NHLPA. 18-39 and middle-class. The NHL game should be accessible to me but hasn't been since 1996 when I could get a Sabres ticket for half-price with my student ID. There was a time when I would drive two hours through lake-effect snow to see a game. Those days are gone because now, even if I needed to, I wouldn't drive to an NHL game.

Don't get me wrong....I'll be back. I don't know when my faith will be restored (probably sooner than later) but what the NHL and the NHLPA have done over the course of the past few months have scarred me to the very core. In a game that relies on emotion they have sucked it right out where all that is left is an empty shell.....and I live in Maryland. What's happening in the Great White North?

Is curling that popular? I don't think so. In fact, the lockout has had such an effect that a man in Ottawa used his dying words to denounce the current state of affairs.

Amen, brotha.

I love hockey. I love the Ramapo Saints, the St. Joseph Regional Green Knights, the Indian Hills Braves and the New York Islanders(honestly, I do!) However, right now I'd drive the four hours back to NY/NJ to see the first three play but not the five minutes to hop on the Metro into downtown D.C. to see the Isles when they are in town. It's like when you are so mad at someone you just do not want to even see their face.

That's how I feel about the NHL.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home