Wednesday, February 23, 2005

That's no moon.....

iPod update:

1,945 songs, 7.2 days, 13.4 GB (out of 40)

Last song added: Beastie Boys, "Paul Revere"


I've taken on some freelance work for charity. It's a side-effect of this blog actually. All of this writing has gotten me in the literary zone, so to speak. I have been working with the people over at NY Line.

NY Line is the group that has gathered together every three years too celebrate the opening of the latest Star Wars movie. On April 1st they'll start all over again outside of New York's Ziegfeld Theater in anticipation of the last new Star Wars movie to be released, Star Wars: Episode III, Revenge of the Sith.

When Episode II was released I entered a contest to win tickets to the premiere at the Ziegfeld. I was lucky enough to win and spend the day with these people who are completely devoted to everything Star Wars. My friend Ken Morris and myself went down to the city and just immersed ourselves in the fun and silly-ness that is a Star Wars premiere.

Not to sound too dorky, but it was a blast. I mean where else can you go to see a painting of the Death Star on a pregnant lady's belly? It is another world there, one where it's okay to quote movies 24/7. I can't tell you how excited I was about that. Of course the actual viewing of the movie was in itself an incredible time. If you haven't been to a Star Wars premiere with hardcore fans, do yourself a favor and make sure you get there with this last chance that you have. yes there is hootin' and hollerin' but it's done at the right times and totally in support of the movie. All of those scenes that you watch at home where you think to yourself, "that's awesome" is met with thunderous cheers and applause.

One that stands out is when Yoda whips out his lightsaber for the first time.

I have never heard a theater so loud before. The atmosphere creates instant memories. Something tangible that you can almost grab onto. At the very least.....it's a nice ride with cool eye candy.

So here it is....Almost March, 2005 and the countdown is set to begin again. This time I plan to earn my way into the midnight screening and not back my way in through a contest. In addition to writing for the organization's newsletter. I will be asking for pledges to help out the Starlight Children's Foundation. This is a non-profit organization which, among other things, raises funds to purchase entertainment systems for children in hospitals. It's a great cause.

So I get to be a dork one last time and rock out to a new Star Wars movie. Please bear with me if I become uncontrollably juvenile and incoherent as the days dwindle down.

I'd appreciate that.


-GDP

1 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger Chris said...

CHUBB--(insert extended laugh and giggles here)-- what? being Juvinile an issue? NAH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home