Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Rumblings and Physics

iPod update:

1,921 songs, 6.8 days, 12.1 GB (out of 40)

Last album added: Duran Duran, Greatest Hits

Apologies for not updating for a bit but it has been hectic at work (which I do love saying) and my computer time must be spent actually creating something professionally. However I consider this work because it has become the best way for sharpening my writing skills.

That being said, there are no shortages of distractions here at the office:

I share and office with what is known, I think, as a grunter. Nice guy to be sure but every single movement is accompanied by a grunt, yammer or bellow. His vociferation cries out for attention and believe me before the summer is done, he's gonna get it.

But I am a professional, and as such, I will work through these distractions and do the job I am expected to do.....end of rant.

Bonnies @ Xavier tonight at 7. Hopefully the brown and white can manage the upset. Hopes are high but expectations low.

In other sports news, the GDP (that's me) registered for his rookie season in the World Adult Kickball Association yesterday. This is a league of 30 & 40-somethings who relive the glory days of elementary school when everyone used to chant your name and cheer you on during gym class. Apparently, the sentiments between the players are not the same as in school because things can get heated.

I imagine it's very easy to get out onto the kickball field and really get into the whole "turn back the clock" mentality. You remember the rules to kickball, right? Same as baseball for the most part but a batter can be called out if he or she is hit with the ball while between the bases.

Now when you were a kid you threw that ball as hard as you could, but if you were 3B or SS, that's a long throw, right? Chances are that the ball maybe bounced once before it got to where it was intended. Either way, there wasn't the same amount of mustard on the throw from start to finish.

Not so anymore. Ground ball, third base, third baseman picks it up. Batter sprinting towards first to try and beat the throw. Third baseman launches the ball.....

Child mentality, adult results.....

The ball, which has now become a red sphere of destruction, speeds towards its target with enough velocity to make a first grader cry for a month straight. There is no arc to the throw, no dip and certainly no bounce. Nope....the ball finds its target, the left temple of the batter. The rest is physics...especially if it's a girl who was the batter. But then again....some things, I guess, haven't changed from grade school.

I am anticipating a blast being had during this season and enjoying myself immensely.


Hopefully they'll let me play third base

1 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Awwww... poor Amy. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the wonderful pleasure that is Kickball (or Dodgeball, also played with the same ball.

Ryan... Rock on Brother. You find some of the coolest things to get into.
Chubb

 

Post a Comment

<< Home